The Type 1 Diabetes Grand Challenge is a partnership between the Steve Morgan Foundation, Diabetes UK and JDRF.
We are united by our ambition to cure type 1 diabetes
For 100 years insulin has been the only treatment for type 1 diabetes but we’re on the cusp of a new era. The partnership is investing £50 million into the most promising projects led by exceptional scientists to fast-track discoveries that will lead to life-changing new treatments and ultimately a cure.
By harnessing the power of collaboration, targeting research
areas with the greatest potential, and stimulating bold, innovative research at scale, we’re creating change that will improve the lives of millions of people with type 1 diabetes.
Root causes of type 1 diabetes
Professor Chantal Mathieu
Professor Mathieu is Vice Chair of the Scientific Advisory Panel advising on the research stream focused on the root causes of type 1 diabetes. She is Professor of Medicine at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, Chair of Endocrinology at the University Hospital Gasthuisberg Leuven, Senior Vice President of European Association for the Study of Diabetes and distinguished for her pioneering work on prevention and intervention in type 1 diabetes.
- Professor Jay Skyler, Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami, USA
- Professor Mark Atkinson, Director, UF Diabetes Institute, The University of Florida, USA
- Professor Anette-Gabriele Ziegler, Technical University of Munich, Germany
- Professor Roberto Mallone, INSERM Cochin Institute, Paris, France
Dr Tim Heise
Professor Heise is Vice Chair of the Scientific Advisory Panel advising on the research stream focused on novel insulins. He is Lead Scientist at Profil Institute for Metabolic Research in Neuss, Germany and a world-leading expert on the pharmacology of insulin.
- Dr David Kelley, Physician-Scientist in metabolism research, Previously of Merck
- Professor John Buse, Director, Diabetes Center, Director, NC Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute, University of North Carolina
- Dr Reinhard Becker, physician and chemist, Previously of Sanofi
- Dr Diane McCarthy, USP, Maryland, USA
Replacing beta cells
Professor Matthias Hebrok
Professor Hebrok is Vice Chair of the Scientific Advisory Panel advising on the research stream focused on beta cell replacement therapies. He is the Hurlbut-Johnson Distinguished Professor in Diabetes Research and Director of the Diabetes Center at the University of California, San Francisco and an esteemed diabetes expert on beta cell function and stem cell-based therapies for type 1 diabetes.
- Professor Jorge Ferrer, Centre for Genomic Regulation, Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology
- Professor Doug Melton, Vertex
- Professor Lorenzo Piemonti, Università Vita-Salute San Raffaele
- Professor Lori Sussel, University of Colorado
- Professor Qizhi Tang, University of California San Francisco
Putting people affected by type 1 diabetes at the heart of research.
The Type 1 Diabetes Grand Challenge brings together scientists and the type 1 community to drive forward progress in areas that matter most to people with type 1.